Being diagnosed and treated for cancer is often associated with multiple and frequently severe symptoms, impaired functional status, and complex emotional, psychosocial and existential issues that can last over a long time, even after treatment is completed. This project developed WEB–CHOICE, an Internet based support system for cancer patients that provides patient-centered, individualized information and peer and professional support over the Internet. We developed WEB–CHOICE that contains:
- Self-assessment of symptoms, problems and preferences (Assessment component).
- Provides evidence-based, reliable information and support targeted to patients’ identified symptoms, problems and preferences (Information Component).
- Provides access to other WWW resources, such as links to other reliable, relevant web sites.
- Established and administer an online support service for patients to share information and obtain peer and professional support. (Communication component).
- Evaluated feasibility, usage pattern, patient satisfaction and ease of use of WEB-CHOICE.